By Audrey K. Chisholm

Friday, March 12, 2010

Leadership & Basketball: Are YOU Championship Material?

I have loved the game of basketball since I was a little girl. Why? Because it has taught me some of the most valuable lessons in leadership. Watching basketball, taught me that talent is not enough. The NBA is full of talented athletes from top schools around the nation. Yet, many of them never win a championship. Why? Because life has a way of throwing opposition our way that makes us question if we really are championship material. Once we stop believing we are championship material, our actions reflect our belief (e.g., we stop practicing) and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Michael Jordan never won an NBA championship during his first 7 years in the league. Jealous players in the All Star game refused to pass him the ball, he missed 64 games his 2nd season due to a broken foot, and lost in the finals consistently since his opponents double and triple teamed him every time he touched the ball. Yet, instead of mentally conceding that he wasn’t championship material, he continued practicing, learning, and growing. As a result, he is the greatest player in history with an unprecedented 6 NBA championships. Being presented the "Magic Maker” award during this week’s Orlando Magic game reminded me of two things: (1) why I love basketball and (2) why despite life’s obstacles, I must always believe that I am still championship material.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you sis. You know who this is:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said!!! That's awesome. Keep up the great work and inspiring others to do the same.

    ReplyDelete